Fourth Quarter 2018 Highlights
The Enterprises’ Foreclosure Prevention Actions:
- The Enterprises completed 41,062 foreclosure prevention actions in the fourth quarter, bringing the total to 4,283,836 since the start of conservatorships in September 2008. Of these actions, 3,591,985 have helped troubled homeowners stay in their homes, including 2,314,121 permanent loan modifications.
- Twenty-eight percent of modifications in the fourth quarter were modifications with principal forbearance. Modifications with extend-term only accounted for 65 percent of all loan modifications during the quarter.
- There were 1,781 completed short sales and deeds-in-lieu during the quarter, bringing the total to 691,851 since the conservatorships began in September 2008.
The Enterprises’ Mortgage Performance:
- The percentage of 60+ days delinquent loans dropped from 1.13 percent at the end of the third quarter to 1.08 percent at the end of the fourth quarter.
- The Enterprises’ serious (90 days or more) delinquency rate decreased to 0.73 percent at the end of the fourth quarter. This compared with 3.8 percent for Federal Housing Administration (FHA) loans, 2.0 percent for Veterans Affairs (VA) loans, and 2.1 percent for all loans (industry average).
The Enterprises’ Foreclosures:
- Foreclosure starts increased 11 percent to 36,002 while third-party and foreclosure sales decreased 8 percent to 11,510 in the fourth quarter.
For an interactive online map that provides state data, click on the following link: Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac State Borrower Assistance Map